Contact Us

Contact Us

Contact Us

Contact Us

History

History

The Franklin Township Library has evolved since its inception from a side room of the Franklinville Fire House to its current facility on Coles Mill Road. In June of 1950, Erma Horel started the library in the fire house and residents donated books, shelving and their time to staff the library. The operation of the library was maintained with little financial support. 

In 1965, Helen B. Richman built a library on her property on Old Delsea Drive in Malaga, which was known as the Richman Public Library. Unable to operate the library herself due to illness, Helen Richman deeded the library to the Township in December of 1965. 

The library officially opened as a municipal library on June 13, 1966, and a Board of Trustees was established. Martha Ochs was the librarian there for seventeen years. In 1985, the Richman Library moved to a larger location on Delsea Drive and was named the Joseph J. Grochowski Memorial Library. 

In 1999, Franklin Township received a Special New Jersey Legislative Grant for $1.4 million to construct a new Township Community Center that would house the library, senior citizens center, historical museum/ library, and veteran’s memorial. The library received an additional $445,178 in a Public Library Construction Bond Fund grant. Construction started with the groundbreaking in 2001 and the building officially opened in 2002. 

Twenty years later, in 2022, the library underwent extensive renovations after receiving another Library Construction Bond grant for $600,000. The library re-opened on September 10, 2022 with updated technology, including self check-out and scan fax station, a new meeting room space, and new and updated furnishings.

1950
Erma Horel began providing library services in a side room of the Franklinvillle Fire House.
1950
1957
Viola Allen became director of the library.
1957
1965
Helen B. Richman built a library on her property on Old Delsea Drive, Malaga.
1965
1966
The Richman Library was open to the public with Martha Ochs acting as librarian. The Board of Trustees was established.
1966
1985
The old Department of Transportation Building next to the Municipal Building on Delsea Drive was bought from Joseph Grochowski. The Richman Library moved to this location and was renamed The Franklin Township Public Library. The library received a State Library Grant for $38,000 to furnish the building.
1985
1991
The Franklin Township Public Library became automated and joined the Gloucester County Online Database (GOLD) system. The library continues to be a part of the consortium, now known as LOGIN, which includes libraries in Gloucester, Salem, and Cumberland counties.
1991
1998
The Friends of the Franklin Township Public Library formed and began to promote community awareness of the library and the importance of fundraising.
1998
1999
The Township received a $1.4 million Special New Jersey Legislative Grant for the construction of the Township Community Center which will house the Library, Senior Citizens Center, Historical Museum/Library, and Veterans Memorial.
1999
2001
The groundbreaking for the new Community Center took place.
2001
2001
The library received a Public Library Construction Bond Fund for $445,178.
2001
2002
The new Community Center on Coles Mill Road opens. The library space is greatly expanded from the previous location with separate children's and adult areas, staff office space, and a children's garden.
2002
2022
The library completes extensive renovations after received a $600,000 Library Construction Bond grant which adds a meeting room, separate Activity Room and children's space, an enclosed computer lab, and new furnishings and technology.
2022
franklin library history pic

Don't Miss Out

Stay informed of what's happening and upcoming events.

Subscribe

Stay informed of what's happening and upcoming events.
Click Here